Saturday, March 8, 2014

Here's to Joy!

So this blog is probably going to be a bit of rambling, bear with me, please. So I was all excited to blog this year about joy, thinking to myself, I'm a pretty positive person I can find joy in almost anything. But then life happened! So Super Bowl Sunday and all is well, Well except that the Broncos played terrible!! Monday I didn't feel so great thought I might be coming down with a stomach bug. Tuesday took the day off work because I was feeling a little worse. Still under the impression I had a stomach bug. Marty called to check on me around 11 and I told him I thought I would probably try to make a doctor appt. since I was still throwing up and hadn't eaten or drank anything since Sunday. So before noon he calls back to check on me and I told him to come home so he could take me to the doctors. By the time he got home, less than 30 minutes, I told him he needed to take me to the ER.

When we got to the ER I tell them I feel terrible, have been throwing up and diarrhea all day, I hadn't eaten or drank in two days, and again I felt terrible! They actually took me right back to triage and when they checked my blood pressure it was 150 over 251! So they put me in a critical care room but my arms became pin cushions as they tried to get and IV started. (Remember I haven't eaten or drank plus being sick for the last two days, they really had to work hard to find a vein) The worst part of all was having the NG tube put in while I was still conscious!! I went to have an MRI and they came back and told me I had what's called an apple core lesion in my colon.

The next afternoon they operated and took out part of my colon, I was given a colostomy and about a 12 inch scar down my belly from just under my ribs to just past my belly button. I was in the step down unit for the following 5 days (that's one step under critical care) where some awesome nurses and doctors took great care of me. On day 7 they moved me to a regular hospital room and then on day 8 I got to go home! Yeah there was great joy in that! haha

Since being home I have found out some not so great news. I have stage 3 colon cancer. I have seen an Oncologist and we have a plan of action. I had my PET scan last Thursday and will find out the results when I go to the doctor on Monday. Also on Monday I will begin the first of 12 rounds of chemotherapy. The chemo regimen I am on is called FOLFOX 6.  I will go to the doctors office for 4 hours of chemo and then I will take home a pump which slowly releases a drug called 5-FU over the next 48 hours. I will repeat that treatment every other week until my 12 rounds are done.

So let's get back to joy. I have been told by many people that I need to keep up my positive attitude which I have tried very hard to do, not just for myself but for my friends and family. I feel like they might need my support as much as I need theirs. I have asked for lots of prayers and love as I go through this and according to my Mom I have a billion angels watching over me. So hopefully with all the prayers, the angels and love this will be the beginning of something good!

No comments:

Post a Comment